Friday, March 5, 2010

Reflecting on Lesson Plan #1

Writing a reflection took awhile for me because I really had to think about my overall experience in planning for (a fictitious but also a likely) class that I might someday have. Currently, I am working in a Kindergarten classroom and my audience is quite a young group compared the anticipated middle school students. So, with this in mind, I really had to play it out in my mind and consider who my audience will be.

I realize that today’s students are already exposed to technology and multimedia tools in one way or another through TV, cell phones, electronic games etc. It is this exposure to technology that will most likely impact student learning. When creating my lesson plan with the ASSURE model in mind, I should keep in mind that it is my job to motivate learning in the classroom. I should work towards keeping learning in the classroom authentic and collaborative. I must also work towards encouraging students towards ownership of the work and to be explorers and producers in their learning. As a teacher, I also would like to assist and facilitate students to be proficient in digital age literacy.

Analyze the Learner
State Objectives and Expectations
Select the Materials and Media
Utilize the Materials and Media
Require Student Participation
Evaluation and Feedback

Before starting on my reflection, I had to understand the ASSURE Model. It is an acronym to help teachers remember the necessary standards in incorporating technology into instruction. It encourages instructors to think and use resources beyond the classroom material to enhance teaching and learning. In planning for this assignment, I had to always keep in mind who were my learners (Assess your learners). For example, if one of your objectives involve having students create a PowerPoint, then you would need to be sure that your students have access to a computer and know how to use the tool. If not, I must clearly make plans and adjustments to have the students gain access to a computer or lab and teach them how to use the tool. This must be done before you can tackle teaching any related content.

Technology tools

For this class, I will have students start with a simple PowerPoint presentation but also allow for open creativity with other forms of applications. Students will be encouraged and expected to use other forms of applications to present their project. The students will also be expected to make use of a variety of media. The project fun will come when they present their project in front of the class. In creating a Family Tree, students will be able to use a digital camera, video cameras, web cameras, and explore different applications online to help with their presentation


NETS*T Standards

This lesson planning activity touched on several NETS*T Standards. One of them is Standard 3C. This standard states that teachers will "apply technology to develop students’ higher order and creativity.” (International Society for Technology in Education, 2008). This is the most relevant standard because the project allows students to be creative with the assignment. Students are expected to think outside of our comfort area in order to incorporate media into their project that may have otherwise been flat and one sided. With so much technology at most schools and students fingertips, exposure in creating projects with technology in mind will help students skills continue to grow. I must keep in mind though, that for students, this is the first time they may have seen or been exposed to this type of information.

Another NET*S standard is 6C. “Teachers understand the social, ethical, legal and human issues surrounding the use of technology in PK-12 schools and apply that understanding in practice.

Teachers: apply technology resources to enable and empower learners with diverse backgrounds, characteristics and abilities. Here it touches this standard in that I will take into account the diverse learners and work to identify strengths and weaknesses of students to help them grow.


What I like….

What I enjoyed the most about this assignment was simply being creative and incorporating technology into my lesson plan and the excitement I believe the students will feel just as I did.


What I least liked…

The part of this assignment that I liked the least was trying to narrow down the many ideas down to a manageable size. I found myself going all over the place with different ideas that didn’t necessarily connect.

After all that is said and done…creating a multimedia lesson plan was a big learning experience for me. I am excited to do more.

(International Society for Technology in Education, 2008)

1 comment:

  1. Hi:
    This assignment was to be an academic essay, not question and answer.
    -j-

    ReplyDelete