Thursday, March 24, 2011

Reflections on Media Sharing

Since taking Dr. Cyrus’ class (Computers in Education), I have come to recognize that learning and teaching in today’s digital world have become more engaging and meaningful now that I have more context and familiarity with some resources and references. I also feel like I am starting to get “it” (clearer understanding of the usefulness of digital technology in the classroom) and that gives me some encouragement because I often feel that others are leaps ahead of me when it comes to technology.

On to the topic of media sharing. I was very excited to learn of the online community -Educators PLN (http://edupln.ning.com/) and also Teacher Tube. I have created an account and begun to explore it. I find that the kind of work written in this online community feels more authentic and purposeful to me. I think this is primarily because it is an audio/visual media and because that is what our “digital native” learners gravitate to. I the example that I have viewed, students are producing pieces with real purpose and for specific viewers, they are invested in the production, they wish to share it, and they desire the feedback.

As a member of a professional learning community, I recognize that I must advocate for the usefulness and effectiveness of video sharing in supporting teaching and learning within our school and beyond. I have gained a better understanding and resources that I can share with my colleagues whether they are already using media sharing tools to support teaching and learning.

No comments:

Post a Comment