My journey to finding a PLN (professional learning network) was not simple at first. In fact, it took quite some time deciding which group to join. I wanted to find a group that was just right for me. I recognize that the progressive world of Internet communication, which clearly defines social networking, offers teachers and students incredibly new ways to share, collaborate and stay informed with other people in the world. It allows people to come together around a topic of interest. This provides a great opportunity for educators and other professionals to reflect on the world we live in. In many ways, social networking has become academic.
Social networks are websites where one person connects with others that share the same personal or professional interests, place of origin, education at a particular school, etc. (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/social+network)
In searching for a motivation to increase personal awareness and professional development (INTASC Standard 9) a teacher “is a reflective practitioner who continually evaluates the effects of his or her choices and actions on others and who actively seeks out opportunities to grow professionally.” By joining social networks, I will share my professional interest in the field of education. Through social networking, I intend to:
9.2 use professional literature, colleagues, and other resources to support self-development as a learner and as a teacher.
9.3 consult with professional colleagues within the school and other professional arenas
as support for reflection, problem-solving and new ideas, actively sharing experiences, and seeking and giving feedback. (INTASC 9)
There is a broad cross-section of individuals, organizations and industries that touch issues I need to think about. So I find I need to adopt a more strategic approach to joining a social network. In this quest, I discovered that I had a lot of issues to deal with prior to me finding a social network that fits my needs. In my search to choose a social network, I had to find a group that shared similar goals and ideas related to education. With the large variety of social networks available, it took quite a while before I found one or two social networks that fit my needs.
I have to admit that I didn’t think as much of social networking as much others might have. In fact, I never really searched for one until given this assignment, as I never really saw a need for one. It appeared that “Twitter” and “Facebook” was geared to people with time to “socialize”. I realized that this perception needed to change if I wanted to see what was going on beyond the walls of the classroom. I recognize that there is a wealth of resources that others have and would like to share. Social networks, if used to your advantage, can be great resources for gaining new knowledge, and sharing my own knowledge and experiences. It is a great way to network and see things from a variety of perspectives.
Currently with a Twitter, Facebook and blog account, I recognize that it is not enough just to have an account, but I must be actively engaged in it, too. I have also joined The Educator’s PLN which I am very excited about. I’ve been giving some thoughtful attention to my system for capturing and sharing professional learning online, using social media – and blog reading habits are definitely a part of that system. I continue to remind myself to enjoy reading good questions about how to pick blogs to follow: Does the blog offer consistent insight and education about an area I want to learn about?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Hi:
ReplyDeleteWell written.
-j-